Next I will try and explore PTSD/Post Traumatic Stress Disorder in terms that will be accessible.
- happens after a traumatic life event – but not every event or to every person experiencing the same event.
- relive the expereince
- intrusive thoughts
- trigger events/smells/colours/sounds (these are just a few)
- physical symptoms of sweating, increased heart rate, jumpy,
- hyper-alert/ hyper-vigilant
- intense panic
- fear of emotional connections or relationships.
- aggressive and destructive behaviours – excessive use of alcohol or drugs
- avoidance – of memories, people, situations
- unable to recall details of the event
- emotional and/or physical numbness
- blaming or self doubt, lack of trust in self or others.
Again this is not a list that is all encompassing, and not everyone with professionally diagnosed PTSD will have all these symptoms. Its a rough introductory guide.
Here are two links that contain lots of information on PTSD for you to further explore.
If you would like to discuss anything Wright Minds can offer counselling therapy to those in and around the Stoke-on-Trent and Newcastle-under-Lyme area.